I have hardwood floors throughout the house but now that winter is coming I need to put some humidity in the house. How do I do this without hurting my floors? I can get those small room humidifiers but then I would have to put a large piece of plastic down on the floor and I don't want to do that. Any ideas?
You should install a humidifier on your furnace. Depending on the amount of wood you have in your home. If it is a small amount such as an entry foyer you could probably get away with a smaller portable one but for any significant amount of wood it should be installed one you furnace. Many if not all hardwood manufacturers recommend a humidifier to prevent excessive shrinkage of wood floors due to low humidity levels. Wood stoves and electric heat tend to cause very dry conditions. A humidity level of 35-55% is recommended. In damp conditions, proper humidity levels can be maintained with an air conditioner or dehumidifier, or by periodically turning on your heating system during the summer months.
can i install hardwood flooring over tile?
Buckling/Rippling of newly installed Engineered Hard...
improperly laid hardwood flooring
removing ceramic floor tile thinset
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!