Please could I have some advice! We are redecorating the bathroom and want to tile the bath wall. Should we tile before or after the insertion of the new bath.
Maybe a silly question but any help gratefully received!!
If you are installing a traditional bath tub, set the tile after the tub is installed. The tub will have a small vertical lip on the wall sides. The tile flashes over this lip to keep water from getting behind the wall (the face of the tile actually "hangs" over this lip). The joint between the tub and the first tile is left open for about 1/8" and then caulked with a flexible sealant. In the past this joint was grouted, but modern sealants are much better. The color of the sealant should match that of the tile grout.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight