We are in the process of building a house. We would like to put in BHK engineered floor. (It is the click together floating floor) However, we have been told that hardwood needs to be placed in the opposite direction of the floor joists.
Is this true for engineered flooring?
The manufacturer tells us that we can lay it in any direction, but our fathers are telling us differently =)
Any help is appreciated!
An engineered wood floor is a versitile surface that can be laied on many different surfaces and in any direction relative to floor joists. the prerequisite is a well constructed subfloor with deflections within the manufacturer tolerance (specifications). In most cases on a built floor, this just means adequately sized joists for the span, 16" O.C. with a minimum 3/4 inch+ T&G subfloor. I would suggest if subfloor only meets the minimum, add a 1/2 inch A/C plywood underlayment. Joist direction is not even critical for a conventional wood floor if the floor system is adequate. With a conventional 3/4" wood floor, the finish floor can contribute to the structure of the floor, reducing deflections, but if you are working with Sturd-i-joists ((I-beam) and 1-1/2 of subfloor and underlayment, who cares! At that point the surface flooring is decorative, not structural.
need a Hardwood floor recommendation
Versastrip - hardwood??
Buckling/Rippling of newly installed Engineered Hard...
1/4" Bruce Adventure Plank vs. Anderson Durham Plank
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps