We are in the process of building a house. We would like to put in BHK engineered floor. (It is the click together floating floor) However, we have been told that hardwood needs to be placed in the opposite direction of the floor joists.
Is this true for engineered flooring?
The manufacturer tells us that we can lay it in any direction, but our fathers are telling us differently =)
Any help is appreciated!
An engineered wood floor is a versitile surface that can be laied on many different surfaces and in any direction relative to floor joists. the prerequisite is a well constructed subfloor with deflections within the manufacturer tolerance (specifications). In most cases on a built floor, this just means adequately sized joists for the span, 16" O.C. with a minimum 3/4 inch+ T&G subfloor. I would suggest if subfloor only meets the minimum, add a 1/2 inch A/C plywood underlayment. Joist direction is not even critical for a conventional wood floor if the floor system is adequate. With a conventional 3/4" wood floor, the finish floor can contribute to the structure of the floor, reducing deflections, but if you are working with Sturd-i-joists ((I-beam) and 1-1/2 of subfloor and underlayment, who cares! At that point the surface flooring is decorative, not structural.
need a Hardwood floor recommendation
Versastrip - hardwood??
Buckling/Rippling of newly installed Engineered Hard...
1/4" Bruce Adventure Plank vs. Anderson Durham Plank
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY