We are in the process of building a house. We would like to put in BHK engineered floor. (It is the click together floating floor) However, we have been told that hardwood needs to be placed in the opposite direction of the floor joists.
Is this true for engineered flooring?
The manufacturer tells us that we can lay it in any direction, but our fathers are telling us differently =)
Any help is appreciated!
An engineered wood floor is a versitile surface that can be laied on many different surfaces and in any direction relative to floor joists. the prerequisite is a well constructed subfloor with deflections within the manufacturer tolerance (specifications). In most cases on a built floor, this just means adequately sized joists for the span, 16" O.C. with a minimum 3/4 inch+ T&G subfloor. I would suggest if subfloor only meets the minimum, add a 1/2 inch A/C plywood underlayment. Joist direction is not even critical for a conventional wood floor if the floor system is adequate. With a conventional 3/4" wood floor, the finish floor can contribute to the structure of the floor, reducing deflections, but if you are working with Sturd-i-joists ((I-beam) and 1-1/2 of subfloor and underlayment, who cares! At that point the surface flooring is decorative, not structural.
need a Hardwood floor recommendation
Versastrip - hardwood??
Buckling/Rippling of newly installed Engineered Hard...
1/4" Bruce Adventure Plank vs. Anderson Durham Plank
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects