we found really nice wood flooring under our carpeting, but there is a 2' by 2' area against the wall, right in front of a window where they replaced the wood with the same kind of wood, but thinner wood. Is there any way to fix this so it looks nice, we are getting ready to sell, or should we just carpet the room?
It sounds as if you have a traditional wood floor. If so, the answer is yes, it can be repaired. The wood can be matched exactly if you have a closet or other room that replacement boards can be salvaged from (and replaced with less matching boards of the proper thickness). After replacement, the floor will need sanding with special floor sanders and then refinished. For the best match, it is best to refinish the entire room. If you are not an experienced handyman, this might be a job for professionals. If you are selling, it probably won't pay to fix the floor. Just carpet over and let the buyer deal with it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes