I have hardwood floors. I am not sure what type of floor-maple,oak, or whatever and I do not know how to tell the difference. They have been damaged by the previous owners. A contractor did some sanding in the master bedroom and hallway with the drum that you have to rent but it still is not perfect. The contractor also put some shiny stuff on it.
Since the hardwood floor was covered with carpet the previously did not take care of the hardwood floor.
There is black spots all over the place. I think they let a pet alone in the house for some time or just dropped water all over the place.
So the parts that were not sanded I am not sure what to do. There are black marks from the staples left from the carpet and the carpet tack boards that are obvious in the wood.
I am willing to do the work myself if I can get step by step instructions. I am real patient and like things to be close to perfect thus I can take my time.
New homeowner seeking to improve like you!
personally, I would hire a floor refinisher to at least do the sanding of the floor. to remove the black stains from the tacks, use wood bleach, the holes can be filled with a mixture of the sanding sawdust and varnish or poly. I had old oak floors restored after the removal of carpet, the cost for the complete job with 2 coats of poly was $2.95 a square foot. that was 3 years ago.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!