I have hardwood floors. I am not sure what type of floor-maple,oak, or whatever and I do not know how to tell the difference. They have been damaged by the previous owners. A contractor did some sanding in the master bedroom and hallway with the drum that you have to rent but it still is not perfect. The contractor also put some shiny stuff on it.
Since the hardwood floor was covered with carpet the previously did not take care of the hardwood floor.
There is black spots all over the place. I think they let a pet alone in the house for some time or just dropped water all over the place.
So the parts that were not sanded I am not sure what to do. There are black marks from the staples left from the carpet and the carpet tack boards that are obvious in the wood.
I am willing to do the work myself if I can get step by step instructions. I am real patient and like things to be close to perfect thus I can take my time.
New homeowner seeking to improve like you!
personally, I would hire a floor refinisher to at least do the sanding of the floor. to remove the black stains from the tacks, use wood bleach, the holes can be filled with a mixture of the sanding sawdust and varnish or poly. I had old oak floors restored after the removal of carpet, the cost for the complete job with 2 coats of poly was $2.95 a square foot. that was 3 years ago.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers