I have hardwood floors. I am not sure what type of floor-maple,oak, or whatever and I do not know how to tell the difference. They have been damaged by the previous owners. A contractor did some sanding in the master bedroom and hallway with the drum that you have to rent but it still is not perfect. The contractor also put some shiny stuff on it.
Since the hardwood floor was covered with carpet the previously did not take care of the hardwood floor.
There is black spots all over the place. I think they let a pet alone in the house for some time or just dropped water all over the place.
So the parts that were not sanded I am not sure what to do. There are black marks from the staples left from the carpet and the carpet tack boards that are obvious in the wood.
I am willing to do the work myself if I can get step by step instructions. I am real patient and like things to be close to perfect thus I can take my time.
New homeowner seeking to improve like you!
personally, I would hire a floor refinisher to at least do the sanding of the floor. to remove the black stains from the tacks, use wood bleach, the holes can be filled with a mixture of the sanding sawdust and varnish or poly. I had old oak floors restored after the removal of carpet, the cost for the complete job with 2 coats of poly was $2.95 a square foot. that was 3 years ago.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY