I want to replace carpet with ceramic tile, but I can't seem to remove the tack strip nails without gouging out areas of concrete.
Is there a way to do this or am I going to have to somehow fill in the holes and level out the floor before beginning to set tile?
Thanks for help! -dw
I did remove tack strips from a terazzo/concrete floor before refinishing the floor with an acid wash. You must not pull out the nails! You can take the woode out from around the nails and then use a dremmel tool to "shave off" the tops of the tacks. This worked beautifully. It left very smallbrown/rust dots where the nails used to be but who cares you are covering with tile. If you pull up the tacks there is the possibility that you will take huge chunks of the cement with the tack and you do not need that extra work. Good luck It is an easy fix and the Dremmel tool costs undre $100. Maybe a friend of yours might have one with a flat disc like head for grinding off the tack heads.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 10 Secret Rooms & Passages in Ordinary Homes
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers