I'm building a home gym in my basement and I want to spruce up the existing ugly vinyl floor. The current vinyl tiles are about 1/8-inch thick and are hideous brown, yellow, & green. The tiles are in decent physical shape. I'm "assuming" that the tiles have some asbestos components because the house is 70+ years old and the tiles are also 9" x 9". Anyway, I'd prefer not to tear up these tiles due to cost and potential asbestos concerns (as mentioned, the tiles are in decent shape).
So, my question is:
Can I put new stick-down vinyl tiles over the existing vinyl?
The existing vinyl is 99% intact, but it is not perfectly level in all areas (not sure if that's due to the concrete underneath or b/c of the tiles themselves). It isn't noticably buckling, but a straight edge test reveals some peaks and valleys.
My main goal here is to get a "satisfactory" looking floor for the cheapest amount possible. This is a home gym, so it doesn't have to be perfect. Any suggestions?
laying ceramic tile over old existing ceramic tile
Tiling over old laminate countertop...
preparing concrete floor for new tile
Flooring over tile?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Furniture Makeovers: 10 Total DIY Do-Overs
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them