I'm building a home gym in my basement and I want to spruce up the existing ugly vinyl floor. The current vinyl tiles are about 1/8-inch thick and are hideous brown, yellow, & green. The tiles are in decent physical shape. I'm "assuming" that the tiles have some asbestos components because the house is 70+ years old and the tiles are also 9" x 9". Anyway, I'd prefer not to tear up these tiles due to cost and potential asbestos concerns (as mentioned, the tiles are in decent shape).
So, my question is:
Can I put new stick-down vinyl tiles over the existing vinyl?
The existing vinyl is 99% intact, but it is not perfectly level in all areas (not sure if that's due to the concrete underneath or b/c of the tiles themselves). It isn't noticably buckling, but a straight edge test reveals some peaks and valleys.
My main goal here is to get a "satisfactory" looking floor for the cheapest amount possible. This is a home gym, so it doesn't have to be perfect. Any suggestions?
laying ceramic tile over old existing ceramic tile
Tiling over old laminate countertop...
preparing concrete floor for new tile
Flooring over tile?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs