I'm building a home gym in my basement and I want to spruce up the existing ugly vinyl floor. The current vinyl tiles are about 1/8-inch thick and are hideous brown, yellow, & green. The tiles are in decent physical shape. I'm "assuming" that the tiles have some asbestos components because the house is 70+ years old and the tiles are also 9" x 9". Anyway, I'd prefer not to tear up these tiles due to cost and potential asbestos concerns (as mentioned, the tiles are in decent shape).
So, my question is:
Can I put new stick-down vinyl tiles over the existing vinyl?
The existing vinyl is 99% intact, but it is not perfectly level in all areas (not sure if that's due to the concrete underneath or b/c of the tiles themselves). It isn't noticably buckling, but a straight edge test reveals some peaks and valleys.
My main goal here is to get a "satisfactory" looking floor for the cheapest amount possible. This is a home gym, so it doesn't have to be perfect. Any suggestions?
laying ceramic tile over old existing ceramic tile
Tiling over old laminate countertop...
preparing concrete floor for new tile
Flooring over tile?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda