I'm building a home gym in my basement and I want to spruce up the existing ugly vinyl floor. The current vinyl tiles are about 1/8-inch thick and are hideous brown, yellow, & green. The tiles are in decent physical shape. I'm "assuming" that the tiles have some asbestos components because the house is 70+ years old and the tiles are also 9" x 9". Anyway, I'd prefer not to tear up these tiles due to cost and potential asbestos concerns (as mentioned, the tiles are in decent shape).
So, my question is:
Can I put new stick-down vinyl tiles over the existing vinyl?
The existing vinyl is 99% intact, but it is not perfectly level in all areas (not sure if that's due to the concrete underneath or b/c of the tiles themselves). It isn't noticably buckling, but a straight edge test reveals some peaks and valleys.
My main goal here is to get a "satisfactory" looking floor for the cheapest amount possible. This is a home gym, so it doesn't have to be perfect. Any suggestions?
laying ceramic tile over old existing ceramic tile
Tiling over old laminate countertop...
preparing concrete floor for new tile
Flooring over tile?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!