I have wood laminate flooring on the first level of my off-grade townhome. I have rugs covering most of the area, but it can still be noisy when walking on the bare floor. I suspect that the previous owner did not use anything between the laminate and the wood subfloor, or if they did it has deteriorated over the years. Is it possible to take the planks up, install a foam cushion and replace with the existing pieces? Is this advisable? The area is approximately 700 square feet.
You say the previous owner installed it. IF the floor has been in for more than 2-3 years, odds are it was not the snap-together floors that are prominant today. It would have been glued in the joints. Therefore, it can not be disassembled. Sorry.
Thanks floor guy. I pulled up one of the strips that cover the planks where they end at the closet and was able to feel that there was some kind of padding used. There were also a few boxes of the PERGO flooring leftover (extras left behind). They do have the grooves on the side so I think they are the snap together fit. Do you think it would help to pull all this stuff up and replace with a premium pad? I've seen some at the home improvement stores that look like they would add extra cushion. Any other suggestions? If I were to carpet the area, can I/should I have it installed on top of the laminate? There is a creaking floor board or two that I would like to get to. Thanks for any advice.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 11 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home