I have wood laminate flooring on the first level of my off-grade townhome. I have rugs covering most of the area, but it can still be noisy when walking on the bare floor. I suspect that the previous owner did not use anything between the laminate and the wood subfloor, or if they did it has deteriorated over the years. Is it possible to take the planks up, install a foam cushion and replace with the existing pieces? Is this advisable? The area is approximately 700 square feet.
You say the previous owner installed it. IF the floor has been in for more than 2-3 years, odds are it was not the snap-together floors that are prominant today. It would have been glued in the joints. Therefore, it can not be disassembled. Sorry.
Thanks floor guy. I pulled up one of the strips that cover the planks where they end at the closet and was able to feel that there was some kind of padding used. There were also a few boxes of the PERGO flooring leftover (extras left behind). They do have the grooves on the side so I think they are the snap together fit. Do you think it would help to pull all this stuff up and replace with a premium pad? I've seen some at the home improvement stores that look like they would add extra cushion. Any other suggestions? If I were to carpet the area, can I/should I have it installed on top of the laminate? There is a creaking floor board or two that I would like to get to. Thanks for any advice.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!