I have wood laminate flooring on the first level of my off-grade townhome. I have rugs covering most of the area, but it can still be noisy when walking on the bare floor. I suspect that the previous owner did not use anything between the laminate and the wood subfloor, or if they did it has deteriorated over the years. Is it possible to take the planks up, install a foam cushion and replace with the existing pieces? Is this advisable? The area is approximately 700 square feet.
You say the previous owner installed it. IF the floor has been in for more than 2-3 years, odds are it was not the snap-together floors that are prominant today. It would have been glued in the joints. Therefore, it can not be disassembled. Sorry.
Thanks floor guy. I pulled up one of the strips that cover the planks where they end at the closet and was able to feel that there was some kind of padding used. There were also a few boxes of the PERGO flooring leftover (extras left behind). They do have the grooves on the side so I think they are the snap together fit. Do you think it would help to pull all this stuff up and replace with a premium pad? I've seen some at the home improvement stores that look like they would add extra cushion. Any other suggestions? If I were to carpet the area, can I/should I have it installed on top of the laminate? There is a creaking floor board or two that I would like to get to. Thanks for any advice.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight