I have wood laminate flooring on the first level of my off-grade townhome. I have rugs covering most of the area, but it can still be noisy when walking on the bare floor. I suspect that the previous owner did not use anything between the laminate and the wood subfloor, or if they did it has deteriorated over the years. Is it possible to take the planks up, install a foam cushion and replace with the existing pieces? Is this advisable? The area is approximately 700 square feet.
You say the previous owner installed it. IF the floor has been in for more than 2-3 years, odds are it was not the snap-together floors that are prominant today. It would have been glued in the joints. Therefore, it can not be disassembled. Sorry.
Thanks floor guy. I pulled up one of the strips that cover the planks where they end at the closet and was able to feel that there was some kind of padding used. There were also a few boxes of the PERGO flooring leftover (extras left behind). They do have the grooves on the side so I think they are the snap together fit. Do you think it would help to pull all this stuff up and replace with a premium pad? I've seen some at the home improvement stores that look like they would add extra cushion. Any other suggestions? If I were to carpet the area, can I/should I have it installed on top of the laminate? There is a creaking floor board or two that I would like to get to. Thanks for any advice.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!