We are in the middle of a pretty major renovation and addition project to our 75 year old cape. Originally we just planned to match & patch the siding, which is now cedar with several layers of paint. Our contractor has used pretty good quality type A Extra white cedar shingles on the new addition, and we like the look so much, we now are thinking of siding the rest of the house to match & then either bleaching or staining. Because of budget, we don't think we can afford to do it all immediately, however.
Our questions are:
If we side what we can now, and don't get to the rest for a year or two, will there be a problem with them matching & will we be doing any damage to them, by leaving them untreated until then.
What are the pros and cons of staining, bleaching, or leaving untreated.
If we are going to stain or bleach, should we have dipped the shingles before we installed them? And since we didn't, what will be the consequenses.
Thanks for any advice.
I would say to leave the siding unteated as cedar is naturally rot resistant and this will be the best way to get the new and the siding you will install at a later date to match. The siding will turn gray and discolor some but you can remove that with wood brightners and cleaner and then stain or use bleaching oil. There is a chance that they will not perfectly but if you stain it now it will be a bigger difference later on down the road.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY