I just moved into a townhouse and the top and bottom of the carpeted stairs squeak. When I walk in the bathtub and shower the floor squeaks too. Is this dangerous? It's a little annoying but I can deal with it for a year or so if it's not something I have to fix immediately.
Is this safe?
Thanks for any input.
They're safe as long as they're not spongy feeling too. Squeaks are caused by the wood either moving against the nails or against another slab of wood. Some can be stopped by putting baby powder between the joints or screwing the boards down tighter. A spongy, squeaky floor can be water infiltration or poor support under the floor.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love