I just moved into a townhouse and the top and bottom of the carpeted stairs squeak. When I walk in the bathtub and shower the floor squeaks too. Is this dangerous? It's a little annoying but I can deal with it for a year or so if it's not something I have to fix immediately.
Is this safe?
Thanks for any input.
They're safe as long as they're not spongy feeling too. Squeaks are caused by the wood either moving against the nails or against another slab of wood. Some can be stopped by putting baby powder between the joints or screwing the boards down tighter. A spongy, squeaky floor can be water infiltration or poor support under the floor.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING