I just moved into a townhouse and the top and bottom of the carpeted stairs squeak. When I walk in the bathtub and shower the floor squeaks too. Is this dangerous? It's a little annoying but I can deal with it for a year or so if it's not something I have to fix immediately.
Is this safe?
Thanks for any input.
They're safe as long as they're not spongy feeling too. Squeaks are caused by the wood either moving against the nails or against another slab of wood. Some can be stopped by putting baby powder between the joints or screwing the boards down tighter. A spongy, squeaky floor can be water infiltration or poor support under the floor.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers