I just moved into a townhouse and the top and bottom of the carpeted stairs squeak. When I walk in the bathtub and shower the floor squeaks too. Is this dangerous? It's a little annoying but I can deal with it for a year or so if it's not something I have to fix immediately.
Is this safe?
Thanks for any input.
They're safe as long as they're not spongy feeling too. Squeaks are caused by the wood either moving against the nails or against another slab of wood. Some can be stopped by putting baby powder between the joints or screwing the boards down tighter. A spongy, squeaky floor can be water infiltration or poor support under the floor.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects