I just moved into a townhouse and the top and bottom of the carpeted stairs squeak. When I walk in the bathtub and shower the floor squeaks too. Is this dangerous? It's a little annoying but I can deal with it for a year or so if it's not something I have to fix immediately.
Is this safe?
Thanks for any input.
They're safe as long as they're not spongy feeling too. Squeaks are caused by the wood either moving against the nails or against another slab of wood. Some can be stopped by putting baby powder between the joints or screwing the boards down tighter. A spongy, squeaky floor can be water infiltration or poor support under the floor.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips