I was wondering if I can lay ceramic tile over my vinyl flooring. The vinyl is very well attached and not coming up in any spots. Underneath the vinyl is by concrete basement floor so there is not going to be any flex there.
Just wondering if this is possible or something that should be done.
The vinyl really should come out. It has to if it is cushion backed. If it has wax on it the thinset wont adhere properly and the tile will come loose. It may be hiding small cracks in the slab that can transmit upward to the tile causing it to crack in the future. The vinyl can shrink over time causing movement that can be deadly to the tile. The vinyl in my brother's house shrunk 3 to 4 inches over about 7 years. Some say vinyl is a good slip sheet but the fact that it does move and shrink, the fact that it was not designed to be a slip sheet and the fact that it is not constructed to be a slip sheet makes it not a good slip sheet. Period.
Do I need a new base before installing ceramic tile?
Porcelain tile over existing ceramic tile
Ceramic Tile Installation Over Vinyl Flooring
Subfloor and mastic question
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!