I was wondering if I can lay ceramic tile over my vinyl flooring. The vinyl is very well attached and not coming up in any spots. Underneath the vinyl is by concrete basement floor so there is not going to be any flex there.
Just wondering if this is possible or something that should be done.
The vinyl really should come out. It has to if it is cushion backed. If it has wax on it the thinset wont adhere properly and the tile will come loose. It may be hiding small cracks in the slab that can transmit upward to the tile causing it to crack in the future. The vinyl can shrink over time causing movement that can be deadly to the tile. The vinyl in my brother's house shrunk 3 to 4 inches over about 7 years. Some say vinyl is a good slip sheet but the fact that it does move and shrink, the fact that it was not designed to be a slip sheet and the fact that it is not constructed to be a slip sheet makes it not a good slip sheet. Period.
Do I need a new base before installing ceramic tile?
Porcelain tile over existing ceramic tile
Ceramic Tile Installation Over Vinyl Flooring
Subfloor and mastic question
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!