I know this may sound like a silly question, but how can I tell whether or not I am looking at hardwood flooring or the subfloor when I pull up the corner of my carpet. The home was built approx. 1950 if that helps.
The species often depends upon the part of the country you live in and how much was spent on the floor. In the southwest (Texas) a hardwood it is most likely to be oak or more rarely maple. When money was tight softwoods such as long leaf pine or cypress were sometimes used. In Texas subfloor was usually southern yellow pine whereas in the northwest it may be spruce or fir. The difference in appearance will be obvious to someone who knows their wood species. Find a carpenter, cabinet builder, or seasoned housebuilder to help you. One clue you can use yourself is that subfloor in the 50's was usually layed on a diagonal and finished flooring was run square to the walls. Also, subflooring was usually 3.5 or 5.5 inches wide while finished flooring was 2.5 inches wide.
Noobie question - Pergo v Hardwood
Versastrip - hardwood??
New house: linoleum or bare floors? (installing hard...
Newly laid hardwood floors squeaking
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 11 Homemade Sheds to Fill Your Storage Needs
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight