So i've seen different explanations on installtion, some mortar underneath the backerboard, some just screw directly into the subfloor. Any advice. We've laid a new subfloor in the kitchen and am planning on installing the backerboard this weekend, with mortar... but if its not necessary, that'd be a nice step to skip... any words of wisdom would be great...
You do need the thinset under the CBU per manufacturer warranaty and because it is the correct thing to do for the life of your tile. You dont need any primer. You can use a cheap thinset under the boards because the purpose of the thinset is to fill in any air pockets and voids between the CBU and the plywood subfloor. This eliminates a major source of flex in the floor which can transmit up to the tile and crack them. Backerboard screws or 1& 1/4" galvanized roofing nails do the work of holding the CBU down, not the thinset under them. Also, you want to tape the seams with mesh tape and apply a coat of modified thinset in the same manner you would apply spackle to wallboard tape.
Cement board - mortar them or just screw them down?
kitchen tile backsplash
We want new floors!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!