I am about 3 boxes into my first pergo project. Using Pergo Everyday flooring.
I began to notice that the butt end joints were not as smooth as they should be. I noticed a gap in one, and could feel a difference in level on the others rather than feeling a smooth transition like the long joints.
I called Pergo & spoke w/them. they confirmed this did not sound normal. I then called the local pergo rep and it turns out I may have been doing it wrong. DOH!! I was installing the long end first, then tapping the board to get the short end into place.
Here's the question: on the pergo video, it shows the peices being put as follows: the short end was put in place, then the current board was lifted up a bit and the new plank was slid down and into the long seam.
HOWEVER< the pergo rep I spoke with recommended that I actually install an entire row at a time. In other words, I assemble all of the butt joints of a row, then bo back and install the long seam all at once with every row. Does this make sense?
The way the video does it does not seem to wokr, because once the butt end seam is clicked into place, it does not slid over so you can meet the long seam.
the way I was doing it, I would install planks 1, 2 & 3 below... then 4, then the long end of five, tapping the short ends together, etc.
the way pergo guy said to do it, i would hook up 5, 6 & 7, then all at once hook that into 1, 2 & 3.
but again, this is different from the video, which showed 4 being installed, then the short end of 5 hooked into four and slid in to connect to the long seam.
if you made it this far, thank you. please reply with YOUR method. I think I just wasted a lot of time and about 3 boxes of pergo if I ruined those butt end joints by tapping them all into place.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs