I've got a 1913 Foursquare home with a large front porch in need of redecking. Currently, the deck has tongue and groove hardwood strip that is painted. I want to replace this with the same type tongue and groove hardwood flooring, probably red or white oak. The porch is open on the sides but is covered with a roof. I would like to stain this new porch a medium brown with a satin or semigloss finish. I also considered prefinished hardwood floors but am told that these are mostly for indoor use. A few questions:
Are there prefinished hardwood floors for outdoor use?
What considerations should I have for the stain and the poly or varnish finish since it is outside?
Given that it is outside, should I prefinish (stain and seal) the boards in a more temperature controlled environment first, then assemble them?
Can I nail hardwood directly over the joists, as it is now, or should I lay down an underlayment, such as 3/4" pressure treated plywood first?
If I lay down underlayment, should I put felt under the hardwoods?
Currently the direction of the hardwoods is parallel to the long side of the house. Should I change orientation of the boards? For porches, I have seen them run perpendicular to the long side of the house. Is this generally accepted?
Thanks very much for your insight.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!