I am laying cermaic tile in my bathroom and kitchen. Currently, there is lino/vinyl. I am going to lay a Hardibacker down.
My question is:
what do I do about the toliet and pedastool sink? Do I remove them and try to cut the board and tile around them?
Thanks for any help!
remove them along with the vinyl and the luan that is probably under that. Only in certain scenarios would I consider going over vinyl with cement board and since I cant visually inspect your floor there is no way I would give a blanket ok on that one. Vinyl and luan offer no structural strength to a subfloor and many homes are built to minimum standards so what you have for a subfloor may not be up to standards to support a ceramic tile installation. We would need to know, assuming this is a wood floor because you only put cement boards over wood subfloors, what the size and spacing of the floor joists are, the length of the unsupported span of the joists and thickness of the subfloor and what kind of plywood it is. Particle board has no place in a tiled situation, CDX ply cannot be used as it is not rated for underlayment, the American Plywood Association (APA) gives it a sheathing rating only, means its good for the side of the house but not on the floors, OSB is ok as long as it is covered with cement board, plywood with a BCX rating is best.
Mold, and Buckling Foundation
Concerned about asbestos in the mastic on our floor
bathroom reno timeline
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING