We plan to renovate the entire bathroom down the road. For now, I need to do something with the shower tile which needs work - regrouting, repair against the wall where pieces are pulling away, etc.
As a fun project, my wife and I thought that after I fix the tile we might put river rock or some other stone facing on the shower wall. If it turns out great then wow, if not, no harm no foul with an area that needs repair anyway. Here are some initial questions:
1. If I rough up the tile, can you put river rock or stone over the exiting tile? Assume we are not using huge slabs... the wall will hold only so much weight and we don't want the rock jutting out too far into the shower space itself.
2. We are open to suggestions on the actual rock material to use...
3. If so, what do you use for adhesive to join the stone over the tile... it will get wet in areas consistent with our use. Would you use Thin Set or some other type of cement?
4. Sealing and Cleaning - this shower gets lots of sunlight so not much mold. However, we do get hard water staining at thigh level on down to the bathtub basin (it's a standard shower/tub combo). What have folks used to seal and clean rock or whatever material that is suggested above?
Can I Install Stone Or Tile Right Over Cracks In Our...
vinyl tile over vinyl tile....?
Hardwood Over Ceramic Tile
Horrible Shower Tile
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes