We plan to renovate the entire bathroom down the road. For now, I need to do something with the shower tile which needs work - regrouting, repair against the wall where pieces are pulling away, etc.
As a fun project, my wife and I thought that after I fix the tile we might put river rock or some other stone facing on the shower wall. If it turns out great then wow, if not, no harm no foul with an area that needs repair anyway. Here are some initial questions:
1. If I rough up the tile, can you put river rock or stone over the exiting tile? Assume we are not using huge slabs... the wall will hold only so much weight and we don't want the rock jutting out too far into the shower space itself.
2. We are open to suggestions on the actual rock material to use...
3. If so, what do you use for adhesive to join the stone over the tile... it will get wet in areas consistent with our use. Would you use Thin Set or some other type of cement?
4. Sealing and Cleaning - this shower gets lots of sunlight so not much mold. However, we do get hard water staining at thigh level on down to the bathtub basin (it's a standard shower/tub combo). What have folks used to seal and clean rock or whatever material that is suggested above?
Can I Install Stone Or Tile Right Over Cracks In Our...
vinyl tile over vinyl tile....?
Hardwood Over Ceramic Tile
Horrible Shower Tile
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 9 New & Familiar Ways to Add Moldings
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- 11 Kitchens That Defy Their Small Size