We plan to renovate the entire bathroom down the road. For now, I need to do something with the shower tile which needs work - regrouting, repair against the wall where pieces are pulling away, etc.
As a fun project, my wife and I thought that after I fix the tile we might put river rock or some other stone facing on the shower wall. If it turns out great then wow, if not, no harm no foul with an area that needs repair anyway. Here are some initial questions:
1. If I rough up the tile, can you put river rock or stone over the exiting tile? Assume we are not using huge slabs... the wall will hold only so much weight and we don't want the rock jutting out too far into the shower space itself.
2. We are open to suggestions on the actual rock material to use...
3. If so, what do you use for adhesive to join the stone over the tile... it will get wet in areas consistent with our use. Would you use Thin Set or some other type of cement?
4. Sealing and Cleaning - this shower gets lots of sunlight so not much mold. However, we do get hard water staining at thigh level on down to the bathtub basin (it's a standard shower/tub combo). What have folks used to seal and clean rock or whatever material that is suggested above?
Can I Install Stone Or Tile Right Over Cracks In Our...
vinyl tile over vinyl tile....?
Hardwood Over Ceramic Tile
Horrible Shower Tile
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!