We plan to renovate the entire bathroom down the road. For now, I need to do something with the shower tile which needs work - regrouting, repair against the wall where pieces are pulling away, etc.
As a fun project, my wife and I thought that after I fix the tile we might put river rock or some other stone facing on the shower wall. If it turns out great then wow, if not, no harm no foul with an area that needs repair anyway. Here are some initial questions:
1. If I rough up the tile, can you put river rock or stone over the exiting tile? Assume we are not using huge slabs... the wall will hold only so much weight and we don't want the rock jutting out too far into the shower space itself.
2. We are open to suggestions on the actual rock material to use...
3. If so, what do you use for adhesive to join the stone over the tile... it will get wet in areas consistent with our use. Would you use Thin Set or some other type of cement?
4. Sealing and Cleaning - this shower gets lots of sunlight so not much mold. However, we do get hard water staining at thigh level on down to the bathtub basin (it's a standard shower/tub combo). What have folks used to seal and clean rock or whatever material that is suggested above?
Can I Install Stone Or Tile Right Over Cracks In Our...
vinyl tile over vinyl tile....?
Hardwood Over Ceramic Tile
Horrible Shower Tile
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!