i'm about to use some for an upstairs bathroom project and i could use some input. here is the scenario:
the current subfloor is 2 inch thick toungue and groove car decking sitiing on 4x8 inch fir beam stringers. while this car decking is the floor on the second level of the house, it's the ceiling on the first level of the house. i have concerns about applying thinset directly to the car decking, even though it is the subfloor. should i put down plywood over the car decking, apply thinset to that, then apply the hardibacker? fyi, we are putting down 11 inch porcelain tile on the hardibacker. also, hardibacker suggest 5/8 inch plywood, but if i put plywood over the car decking could i use plywood slightly thinner?
thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Yes, you should put down a sheet of 1/2" to 3/4" plywood (no CDX permitted)to eliminate the transer of lateral movement in the planks up through the Hardibacker and into the tile which will cause them to crack. Screw the ply to the planking then set the Hardi in a bed of thinset and anchor with galvanized roofing nails or backerboard screws. Fill the 1/8" gap in the plywood seams with a cheap latex caulk so thinset does not ooze down into the gap. Tape the hardi seams with fiberglass mesh tape and coat with modified thinset.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!