We're completing plans for a front porch (with roof) on our Garrison Colonial. The plan is very straightforward. The porch will be 30 ft. wide and 6 ft. deep. with three steps running down to the grade. We put out the plan to several subcontractors for bids and all but one came in fine. The one that was out of line was for the gutters. The sub for the gutters (30 ft. straight-run copper plus leaders) was $5,800. Absolutely nothing unusual about this installation. When I saw the number I figured that the guy had accidentally switched his medications. From the limited research I've done, I think this job should be more like $1,000. Am I missing something here or am I correct in assuming that this sub isn't playing with a full deck? Also, I'd appreciate some ballpark per-foot figures (installed) for copper, aluminum, and "leaf guard" type systems. Many thanks for all suggestions.
When I pointed out the ridiculously high estimate to the contractor, his first reaction was "that's what it costs." When I then mentioned the going rate and indicated that I had no intention of giving him a $4,000 gift, he said he'd take another look. Amazing, but true, he pretended that it was a simple clerical error and reduced the estimate to $1,300. Thought he'd get away with the first one, but then acted embarrassed about the "mistake."
Elderly mother ripped off?
I need help with attic ventilation, sorry for length...
Replacing gutters and fascia boards
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes