We're completing plans for a front porch (with roof) on our Garrison Colonial. The plan is very straightforward. The porch will be 30 ft. wide and 6 ft. deep. with three steps running down to the grade. We put out the plan to several subcontractors for bids and all but one came in fine. The one that was out of line was for the gutters. The sub for the gutters (30 ft. straight-run copper plus leaders) was $5,800. Absolutely nothing unusual about this installation. When I saw the number I figured that the guy had accidentally switched his medications. From the limited research I've done, I think this job should be more like $1,000. Am I missing something here or am I correct in assuming that this sub isn't playing with a full deck? Also, I'd appreciate some ballpark per-foot figures (installed) for copper, aluminum, and "leaf guard" type systems. Many thanks for all suggestions.
When I pointed out the ridiculously high estimate to the contractor, his first reaction was "that's what it costs." When I then mentioned the going rate and indicated that I had no intention of giving him a $4,000 gift, he said he'd take another look. Amazing, but true, he pretended that it was a simple clerical error and reduced the estimate to $1,300. Thought he'd get away with the first one, but then acted embarrassed about the "mistake."
Elderly mother ripped off?
I need help with attic ventilation, sorry for length...
Replacing gutters and fascia boards
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight