We're completing plans for a front porch (with roof) on our Garrison Colonial. The plan is very straightforward. The porch will be 30 ft. wide and 6 ft. deep. with three steps running down to the grade. We put out the plan to several subcontractors for bids and all but one came in fine. The one that was out of line was for the gutters. The sub for the gutters (30 ft. straight-run copper plus leaders) was $5,800. Absolutely nothing unusual about this installation. When I saw the number I figured that the guy had accidentally switched his medications. From the limited research I've done, I think this job should be more like $1,000. Am I missing something here or am I correct in assuming that this sub isn't playing with a full deck? Also, I'd appreciate some ballpark per-foot figures (installed) for copper, aluminum, and "leaf guard" type systems. Many thanks for all suggestions.
When I pointed out the ridiculously high estimate to the contractor, his first reaction was "that's what it costs." When I then mentioned the going rate and indicated that I had no intention of giving him a $4,000 gift, he said he'd take another look. Amazing, but true, he pretended that it was a simple clerical error and reduced the estimate to $1,300. Thought he'd get away with the first one, but then acted embarrassed about the "mistake."
Elderly mother ripped off?
I need help with attic ventilation, sorry for length...
Replacing gutters and fascia boards
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects