We are in So. California and the rains are wreaking havoc! We are facing another 4-5 days of HEAVY rain, and our roof began to leak yesterday (the first day of heavy rains). My husband is out of town for a few days on business, so I am in a difficult spot ... I am "collecting" drips, but am wondering if I should do something inside (on the ceiling) at the point of the leak to lessen whatever problems might be occuring between the roof and the ceiling. What could happen? Am I in danger of the roof caving in? The rain lets up for an hour here and there, but is mostly steady. With my husband gone, I hesitate to call anyone out to attempt to fix the problem. Is there anything I can do myself to mitigate the damage to the ceiling? I will appreciate any suggestions! Thank you.
What kind of roof (composition, tile, shake, slate)? Do you have access to an attic? Are your ceilings drywall? How widespread is the leaking in the house? Would like to help, but need to know some basic details. Since this is the first leak you have notices, you should probably have a repairman (roofer) look at it. Temporary repairs are possible in wet weather that can prevent further damage. Note insurance may not cover water damage from deteriorated roof, but if a tree falls or wind takes off the roof you are covered. Best to repair ASAP.
Thanks for your reply. The roof is composition, and the ceiling is drywall. This is the only leak that I have found (and I have looked through the house). It seems to be just a constant drip, and I am just concerned about making sure the ceiling isn't going to fall in, for right now, if possible. I know we will be able to fix it as soon as hubby gets home (either him or someone else), but if there is anything I can do in the meantime ... This might sound stupid, but would it be a good idea to put a small hole at the point of the drip in the ceiling so that water doesn't build up and spread? I'm NOT a handy household wife! LOL
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes