I have an older Cape (1930’s) with wide plank Red Oak Flooring. I love these floors. There is a nice soft amber glow with a lot of character. I am also in the midst of remodeling my entire kitchen and thought I would carry this "wide plank" look into my design. I went out and purchased (through a local saw mill) 5, 7 and 9 inch Red Oak. I let the wood breath in the house for two weeks and then had my contractor installed the flooring. It looked just great. Then I hired a company to sand and stain. Here is where the nightmare began.
I was told that they could (within reason) match the stain / color on my older floors. After they sanded - they put down various types of oil based Min Wax Stain (Golden Oak, Golden Pecan, Puritan Pine etc…) and it was decided that the Golden Pecan was "close". I then left for work – when I returned I found my brand new floor RED!!!!
To make a long story short – the floors were redone with a "Golden Oak" stain from ZAR but they are still not right.
When a sample on a single board is done it looks pretty close but it is evident that when the entire room is done (13’x13’) it comes out with a Red / Salmon like hue.
After I engaged with other floor refinish companies I was told it will be very very hard to match what is in the house since the older floors and their grain structure will not match the newer wood. However, I could play around with mixing stains and see if I can come up with a combination that may work.
Min Wax told me to try a Water Base - base coat followed by 3 coats of water based polyurethane.
I am at the end of my ropes - is there anyway I can stain new Red Oak flooring and have the end result more of a soft golden color?....
I tried Min Wax "Golden Oak" stain and all it does is turn the floor more of a reddish brown. Or is there a way I can mix let say a min wax product and get gold yellow colors out of it?......
My Kitchen remodel is on hold until this is resolved… HELP!!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- How to Make Concrete Letters
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps