Replacing soap dish
My soap dish got broken, and I'm trying to replace it. (see picture) behind the soap dish is the excess tile set, mesh, and the concrete backer board. I'm not sure if I should chisel away the the concrete backer and the meshing and stuff, as I'm a tiling kindergardener. I already started chiseling away some of the backer. if i place the new dish in there, it doesn't fit in the hole without the leftover stuff getting in the way. can someone give me some help/encouragement that I'm not going to ruin my tub wall?
Get a hammer and a scraper like a 5 way tool or a small chisel. Just remove the thinset but leave the cement board. it wont be easy because you dont have a lot of room to work in the opening but it looks like its not an overabundence of thinset to deal with. There are specialty tools that would work great but not the kind of thing a rental center would carry so unless you know someone who owns one, the old method will have to do. Its Ok if some of the top layer of cement board comes off but you dont want a gaping hole there, the soap dish needs a solid backing for the thinset to bite and hold while it dries. Dont use glue or mastic, rather use modified thinset that comes in a bag and mixes with water. Use tape to hold the dish in place while it dries overnight.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!