Replacing soap dish
My soap dish got broken, and I'm trying to replace it. (see picture) behind the soap dish is the excess tile set, mesh, and the concrete backer board. I'm not sure if I should chisel away the the concrete backer and the meshing and stuff, as I'm a tiling kindergardener. I already started chiseling away some of the backer. if i place the new dish in there, it doesn't fit in the hole without the leftover stuff getting in the way. can someone give me some help/encouragement that I'm not going to ruin my tub wall?
Get a hammer and a scraper like a 5 way tool or a small chisel. Just remove the thinset but leave the cement board. it wont be easy because you dont have a lot of room to work in the opening but it looks like its not an overabundence of thinset to deal with. There are specialty tools that would work great but not the kind of thing a rental center would carry so unless you know someone who owns one, the old method will have to do. Its Ok if some of the top layer of cement board comes off but you dont want a gaping hole there, the soap dish needs a solid backing for the thinset to bite and hold while it dries. Dont use glue or mastic, rather use modified thinset that comes in a bag and mixes with water. Use tape to hold the dish in place while it dries overnight.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!