Currently my shower floor is unlevel and therefore doesn't drain properly. Is it possible to pour self leveling concrete on top of the existing tiles and then retile the whole thing? If so what can I use to extend the drain or prevent the concrete from going in it? Also, is there a particular way to make sure the water will flow to the center, where the drain hole is, when i'm all done tiling?
You want to be careful with 'leveling' a shower floor, for water doesn't travel in the direction you want it to if it is level. I think I know what you're asking for, though. First off, you want to make sure you have a surface to 'level' that will not release your mortar bed, ie: ceramic tiles can release mortar if the mortar is applied to the top of them. Removal of the existing tiles is best, but you can coat the tiles with an adhering compound. The best mixture of a bed to create a slope that I have found is a 'dry' mixture. Actually has a very little water content, added to portland and sand. This is good for areas needing an inch or more of 'leveling'. Careful with self leveling products in this regard. You don't want your leveler to run down your drain, and believe me, you'll lose all of your leveler that way. A ABS or PVC pipe fitted inside the drain, best if a little bigger diameter that the drain, works very well. You can get drain extentions from a plumbing cintracting outfit. Much success with your project..
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes