I own a house with a concrete slab foundation. In my kitchen, the floor is presently covered with vinyl sheet flooring (as opposed to vinyl tiles). The floor is not is good condition and has been there since the house was constructed in 1981. I want to install a ceramic or porcelan tile floor using tiles from 12 to 20 inches square. Do I need to remove the old vinyl floor first or can I install the ceramic or porcelan tiles over the vinyl floor withour removing it? If the answer is yes, is there any type of special preparation that is required to get the vinyl floor ready to act as the base for the tiles or is there any special method for installing the tiles over the vinyl floor?
It is never a good idea or the recommened practice to install ceramic over vinyl. There are a lot of variables that work against a successful installation. There are rental machines that can scrape up the vinyl. Dont worry about leaving a little glue behind, that can be covered with a modified thinset rated for going over cutback adhesive.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!