I own a house with a concrete slab foundation. In my kitchen, the floor is presently covered with vinyl sheet flooring (as opposed to vinyl tiles). The floor is not is good condition and has been there since the house was constructed in 1981. I want to install a ceramic or porcelan tile floor using tiles from 12 to 20 inches square. Do I need to remove the old vinyl floor first or can I install the ceramic or porcelan tiles over the vinyl floor withour removing it? If the answer is yes, is there any type of special preparation that is required to get the vinyl floor ready to act as the base for the tiles or is there any special method for installing the tiles over the vinyl floor?
It is never a good idea or the recommened practice to install ceramic over vinyl. There are a lot of variables that work against a successful installation. There are rental machines that can scrape up the vinyl. Dont worry about leaving a little glue behind, that can be covered with a modified thinset rated for going over cutback adhesive.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes