I purchased a home last year that was built in the late 70's. The floor in the entry foyer appears to be slate. It's multi-color blue, gray. My problem is that it seems to be discoloring and getting worse. For example, many areas of the grayish blue tiles are turning a greenish blue. Almost like paint is coming off but I don't think the slate would have been painted. Does anyone have any suggestions on 1. Whether you've seen this before and this is something I can clean off with something, 2. Whether I can/should paint the tile then seal it? 3. Whether I should just clean and seal it as-is because you think the discoloration is not easy to correct.
Thanks a lot for your input.
i recently read a trade article where the author talked about some cheap slate he installed. The slate was soft and the color was in a thin layer which started to wear over 7 years and has now dulled the colors. I guess a sealer may help to keep the colored layer from further abrading but there is nothing to bring it back to its original state
Cleaning New Floor Tiles
Ceramic Tile floor
Do vinyl floor tiles hold up as well as one piece vi...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes