I purchased a home last year that was built in the late 70's. The floor in the entry foyer appears to be slate. It's multi-color blue, gray. My problem is that it seems to be discoloring and getting worse. For example, many areas of the grayish blue tiles are turning a greenish blue. Almost like paint is coming off but I don't think the slate would have been painted. Does anyone have any suggestions on 1. Whether you've seen this before and this is something I can clean off with something, 2. Whether I can/should paint the tile then seal it? 3. Whether I should just clean and seal it as-is because you think the discoloration is not easy to correct.
Thanks a lot for your input.
i recently read a trade article where the author talked about some cheap slate he installed. The slate was soft and the color was in a thin layer which started to wear over 7 years and has now dulled the colors. I guess a sealer may help to keep the colored layer from further abrading but there is nothing to bring it back to its original state
Cleaning New Floor Tiles
Ceramic Tile floor
Do vinyl floor tiles hold up as well as one piece vi...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!