Recently I installed 3/4" hardwood floors in our living room, leaving the requisite space for expansion around the perimeter of the room, including near the quarry tile around the fireplace and entrance.
Can I put grout in the space between the flooring and the tile? The floor and tile are the same height, but I am worried that would not allow for expansion.
T-molding would also prevent the floor from expanding, no? Since it would fit tightly in the 1/2" space between the tile and flooring.Besides, my wife doesn't like the look of the t-molding.
I also thought of a flexible caulk, like Morr-Flex, that looks like grout and mortar.
Any advice is appreciated.
Tom although expansion does occur it is something that really depends on many factors.The size of the room for example .200-450 sq ft room is not a lot floor space.If this is close to the size of your room,and you want to grout where ceramic grout joint meets wood/i say grout it,just be sure you 3m tape the wood [so as not to stain even finished wood] and that your backer under ceramic is all the way to the wood,otherwise it might crumble.The issue would be if you get hot cold flucuation/ex. doorway to garage ,or outside,if it gets hot and cool by ceramic at fireplace it will probably crack.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!