Recently I installed 3/4" hardwood floors in our living room, leaving the requisite space for expansion around the perimeter of the room, including near the quarry tile around the fireplace and entrance.
Can I put grout in the space between the flooring and the tile? The floor and tile are the same height, but I am worried that would not allow for expansion.
T-molding would also prevent the floor from expanding, no? Since it would fit tightly in the 1/2" space between the tile and flooring.Besides, my wife doesn't like the look of the t-molding.
I also thought of a flexible caulk, like Morr-Flex, that looks like grout and mortar.
Any advice is appreciated.
Tom although expansion does occur it is something that really depends on many factors.The size of the room for example .200-450 sq ft room is not a lot floor space.If this is close to the size of your room,and you want to grout where ceramic grout joint meets wood/i say grout it,just be sure you 3m tape the wood [so as not to stain even finished wood] and that your backer under ceramic is all the way to the wood,otherwise it might crumble.The issue would be if you get hot cold flucuation/ex. doorway to garage ,or outside,if it gets hot and cool by ceramic at fireplace it will probably crack.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love