Recently I installed 3/4" hardwood floors in our living room, leaving the requisite space for expansion around the perimeter of the room, including near the quarry tile around the fireplace and entrance.
Can I put grout in the space between the flooring and the tile? The floor and tile are the same height, but I am worried that would not allow for expansion.
T-molding would also prevent the floor from expanding, no? Since it would fit tightly in the 1/2" space between the tile and flooring.Besides, my wife doesn't like the look of the t-molding.
I also thought of a flexible caulk, like Morr-Flex, that looks like grout and mortar.
Any advice is appreciated.
Tom although expansion does occur it is something that really depends on many factors.The size of the room for example .200-450 sq ft room is not a lot floor space.If this is close to the size of your room,and you want to grout where ceramic grout joint meets wood/i say grout it,just be sure you 3m tape the wood [so as not to stain even finished wood] and that your backer under ceramic is all the way to the wood,otherwise it might crumble.The issue would be if you get hot cold flucuation/ex. doorway to garage ,or outside,if it gets hot and cool by ceramic at fireplace it will probably crack.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers