Alright my mother wants to put a new hardwood floor in her mobile home. I've heard mobile home floors are weak though--should we get a contractor familiar with working with mobile homes? Also would knotty wood flooring or "shorts" be much cheaper than standard wood flooring?
I have installed in only a few mobile homes and yes the floors are usually not ideal.My guess is gonna be that to install ''hardwood '' like a tongue and groove-nail down/underlayment is probably needed to stiffen up the sub floor in the wood area.Problem is than you are building up a heighth diff./if that's not a concern than the underlayment is a relatively inexpensive route.Another alternative might be laminate? With a mid grade cushion underneath-probably safer ,quicker,close to the same price.I also understand wanting the feel of the thicker 3/4 or 5/8 oak /pine planks-i have installed a bunch and it looks great 10 20 yrs later.Nothing beats actual wood for that warm feeling,but functionality and convenience of laminate might be a clear alternative.BTW-house or mobile home is all relatively the same to a point-usually just tighter spaces and less footage-good luck!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes