Alright my mother wants to put a new hardwood floor in her mobile home. I've heard mobile home floors are weak though--should we get a contractor familiar with working with mobile homes? Also would knotty wood flooring or "shorts" be much cheaper than standard wood flooring?
I have installed in only a few mobile homes and yes the floors are usually not ideal.My guess is gonna be that to install ''hardwood '' like a tongue and groove-nail down/underlayment is probably needed to stiffen up the sub floor in the wood area.Problem is than you are building up a heighth diff./if that's not a concern than the underlayment is a relatively inexpensive route.Another alternative might be laminate? With a mid grade cushion underneath-probably safer ,quicker,close to the same price.I also understand wanting the feel of the thicker 3/4 or 5/8 oak /pine planks-i have installed a bunch and it looks great 10 20 yrs later.Nothing beats actual wood for that warm feeling,but functionality and convenience of laminate might be a clear alternative.BTW-house or mobile home is all relatively the same to a point-usually just tighter spaces and less footage-good luck!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!