Alright my mother wants to put a new hardwood floor in her mobile home. I've heard mobile home floors are weak though--should we get a contractor familiar with working with mobile homes? Also would knotty wood flooring or "shorts" be much cheaper than standard wood flooring?
I have installed in only a few mobile homes and yes the floors are usually not ideal.My guess is gonna be that to install ''hardwood '' like a tongue and groove-nail down/underlayment is probably needed to stiffen up the sub floor in the wood area.Problem is than you are building up a heighth diff./if that's not a concern than the underlayment is a relatively inexpensive route.Another alternative might be laminate? With a mid grade cushion underneath-probably safer ,quicker,close to the same price.I also understand wanting the feel of the thicker 3/4 or 5/8 oak /pine planks-i have installed a bunch and it looks great 10 20 yrs later.Nothing beats actual wood for that warm feeling,but functionality and convenience of laminate might be a clear alternative.BTW-house or mobile home is all relatively the same to a point-usually just tighter spaces and less footage-good luck!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight