I live in Missouri, where bad weather is usually a temporary issue and weather is pretty unpredictable (or our weathermen are just lousy). This winter we've had to deal with 40 mph gusts that drive the temperature well below 0. Any quick and easy ideas on how I can find the source of drafts in this house and whether caulking would hold up around a window that's icy to the touch? And how do you weatherproof your fireplace (we don't use it) so there's no wind blowing down and no heat escaping?
"Any quick and easy ideas on how I can find the source of drafts in this house" Hold a lighted candle near an area where you suspect air is leaking and the flame will quiver if there is air movement. Sometimes people tape plastic over the fireplace front to prevent heat from leaking out. You have the damper closed I hope? " and whether caulking would hold up around a window that's icy to the touch?" As long as the surfaces are dry, silicone can be applied when it's cold but it gives the minimum temp it can be applied on the tube(I can't remember what it was) so you will need to check it out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes