First I would like to thank LarryG for your response to my previous post. Since I have been paying attention to the hot water heater I have been noticing a very slight gas odor from the area around the pilot. I have to put my nose right up to it to smell it and can't smell the gas just by standing by the hot water heater. Is this a normal thing with gas water heaters or should I have someone out to check it out? I also notice that the gas odor is a little stronger when I turn up the thermostat and the burners come on and this odor dissipates quickly. FYI, I was able to detect a slight gas odor from our previous hot water heater as well. Thanks.
For peace of mind you can call the gas company and they will check for leaks free of charge. Better safe than sorry right?
Thank you again LarryG. I have the gas company coming out this afternoon to make sure there are no leaks. I have read different things about the odor I am smelling and some say this is normal for some gas hot water heaters and others say that you shouldn't smell any gas smell.
Just an update on what the gas company found. There is a small leak under the pilot button control and this is where I was smelling the gas odor. We were told it wasn't an immediate safety issue and is common in hot water heaters. We are replacing our hot water heater this week since it is 10 years old. Thanks again LarryG.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes