First I would like to thank LarryG for your response to my previous post. Since I have been paying attention to the hot water heater I have been noticing a very slight gas odor from the area around the pilot. I have to put my nose right up to it to smell it and can't smell the gas just by standing by the hot water heater. Is this a normal thing with gas water heaters or should I have someone out to check it out? I also notice that the gas odor is a little stronger when I turn up the thermostat and the burners come on and this odor dissipates quickly. FYI, I was able to detect a slight gas odor from our previous hot water heater as well. Thanks.
For peace of mind you can call the gas company and they will check for leaks free of charge. Better safe than sorry right?
Thank you again LarryG. I have the gas company coming out this afternoon to make sure there are no leaks. I have read different things about the odor I am smelling and some say this is normal for some gas hot water heaters and others say that you shouldn't smell any gas smell.
Just an update on what the gas company found. There is a small leak under the pilot button control and this is where I was smelling the gas odor. We were told it wasn't an immediate safety issue and is common in hot water heaters. We are replacing our hot water heater this week since it is 10 years old. Thanks again LarryG.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!