All Contents in Bathroom (A-Z)
Bathroom Articles, Blog Posts and Slideshows
- 10 Tips for Finding the Perfect Faucet
Does shopping for a bathroom faucet make you feel like a fish out of water? Expert tips simplify the selection process.
- 12 "Decorator Worthy" Bathroom Vanities
While floor space may be limited, every bath--small and grand--can be given a new look with a sink and vanity replacement. And with such a large variety available at retail and online, you are certain to find one that fits your design style and budget.
- 15 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
Even if your bathroom is small, there are ways to make it at least appear larger. Here are 15 products that could help improve the storage, lighting, style and look of the small bathroom.
- 2011 Bathroom Trends
Read for trends from the 2011 Kitchen & Bath Industry Show.
- 5 Simple Ways to Modernize Your Bath
Without a major renovation, it might not be possible to create the minimalist, modern bath of your dreams, but you ca...
- 5 Small Bathroom Space-Busters
Make your bathroom appear larger with these simple but wise small bathroom ideas.
- 6 Simple Bathroom Storage Tips and Tricks
My wife and I have a very small bathroom. The tub, toilet, and sink are lined up shoulder to shoulder along one wall....
- 7 Easy Ways to Boost Bathroom Storage
Here are seven solutions for increasing storage capacity, even in the smallest of baths.
- 9 Designer Tips to Maximize Small Bathroom Design
Small baths can live large when designed with care. Choosing the right materials, fixtures, and fittings is key, as i...
- A Little Goes A Long Way: Using Decorative Tiles
Many people say their ultimate fantasy as a child was the idea of being allowed to run amuck in the toy store. Once y...
- All Ugly Showerheads Need to Go!
I HATE MY SHOWER! Well, actually, it’s my showerhead that I don’t like. Granted, it's better than the standard fixtu...
- Bathroom Decorating Ideas
Give your bathroom a facelift with these bathroom decorating ideas geared toward bathrooms and budgets of all sizes.
- Bathroom Essentials: Tubs, Showers and Sinks
Consider lifestyle when shopping for tubs, showers and sinks.
- Bathroom Floor Tile: 9 Top Options
Tile for bathroom floors comes in a surprising number of materials, from the popular vinyl, ceramic and porcelain, to wood, cork, stone and glass.
- Bathroom Floor Tile: Which Is Best for Your Bath
While there are many bathroom floor tile options, knowing the pros and cons for each will help you make the right choice in your home.
- Bathroom Flooring: A Wealth of Options
Choices abound, but stick with materials that can withstand moisture, look attractive, and feel good under bare feet. Some of the more popular options include:
- Bathroom Remodeling 101
One of the most common home renovations is the addition of a bathroom. Most older houses were built with no more than one bath; in today's world, there's almost no such thing as too many baths.
- Bathroom Renovation: The Hammonds' House, A Case Study
The construction of the Hammonds’ house proves the better prepared you are, the better your bathroom renovation results will be.
- Bathroom Sinks That Rise Above the Rest
Unlike standard bathroom sinks, vessel designs sit above the counter surface. Reminiscent of historical bedroom washs...
- Bathroom Trends
The 2011 Kitchen and Bath Show revealed several new bathroom trends.
- Biggest Bang for Your Buck? The Bath
If you only have so much time and money to spend on a remodeling project, you'll stay more on trend by investing in t...
- Bob Vila Radio: Barrier-Free Showers
If you’re thinking about a bathroom remodel, there’s no better time or place to think ahead. Something as simple as t...
- Bob Vila Radio: Bath Flooring Options
Bathrooms are, like it or not, wet areas. Even if the rest of your house has gleaming hardwood floors, they’re not th...
- Bob Vila Radio: Bathroom Flooring Options
Bob Vila Radio is a newly launched daily radio spot carried on more than 60 stations around the country (and growing)...
- Bob Vila Radio: Bathtubs
Bob Vila Radio is a newly launched daily radio spot carried on more than 60 stations around the country (and growing)...
- Bob Vila Radio: How to Replace a Shower Head
Replacing your shower head is a simple fix that can spruce up the look of your bathroom, save water, and even add a l...
- Bob Vila Radio: Low-Flush Toilets
Did you know that you could save 20% on your water bill just by replacing your toilet? Most conventional toilets hog ...
- Bob Vila Radio: Replacing a Toilet
If you’ve got an older toilet, you’re probably paying for twice the water you need for each flush. But never fear: to...
- Bob Vila Radio: Toilet Flappers
Are you tired of jiggling the handle to stop your toilet from running? The noise and inconvenience drives you crazy, ...
- Bob Vila Radio: Tub Caulking
Even tiny gaps between your tub and the wall tiles can let enough water in to damage your walls and host mold. Since ...
- Bob Vila Radio: Tublifts
You can renew your tub or shower area without the expense, effort, and environmental cost of junking your old tub. LI...
- Bob Vila Radio: Unclogging a Toilet
You’re in the middle of a party, enteraining a houseful of guests, and the toilet acts up. Are you ready to spring in...
- Bob Vila Radio: Vanity Lighting
Bathrooms are small rooms, but they require lots of attention to detail—and great lighting. Listen to BOB VILA ON VAN...
- Childproofing the Bathroom
Eliminate the bathroom’s many dangers.
- Delta Innovation: Then and Now
Recognize this faucet? Chances are you had—or still have one—in your home or apartment. Or perhaps you remember it fr...
- Easy Bathroom Makeover
When I first purchased my weekend house in Upstate New York, I knew that the bathroom would need to be remodeled. The...
- Free-Standing Tubs: Pros and Cons
To take the edge off the pressures of daily life, many Americans are cultivating ways to relax and de-stress in their...
- Free-Standing Tubs: Soaking Up the Luxury
Free-Standing Tubs: Soaking Up the Luxury
- Fresh Powder (Room): The 12-Year Kitchen
We can tell a lot about how previous generations lived by looking at the houses they built. For example, they clearly...
- Fun with Plumbing: Creating A Personalized Shower Experience
I must admit to a certain hedonistic streak when it comes to bathing—be it a long hot soak in the winter or a wonderf...
- Green Bathroom Makeover
Quick and easy "green" bathroom updates.
- Helpful Hints for Cleaning Bathtubs
There is nothing like a long, leisurely soak in a luxurious hot bath to soothe away the stresses of the day—that is, ...
- How To: Choose a New Bathroom Faucet
In the overall scheme of a bathroom, the sink faucet might seem like an incidental detail, but its design can set the...
- How To: Choose an Exhaust Fan
Indoor air quality can be problematic at any time of year, but it is especially a concern during the winter months wh...
- How To: Create a Spa Bath at Home
The primary rule of bathroom remodeling it to make sure it meets your personal and household needs. But, don't overlook elements that can add a spa-like experience.
- It's All in the Flush! Low-Flow Toilets' High Impact
Average Americans are flushing money down the drain. Oh, maybe not literally money—but most US homes still have one ...
- Kid-Friendly Bathroom Design
When my husband and I lived in New York City with our two young girls, we had a single bathroom in our one-bedroom ap...
- Low-Flow Toilets
Save money and conserve water with energy-efficient, low-flow toilets.
- Nate Berkus on Updating a Dated Bath
Editor's note: Since bathroom remodeling is an expensive undertaking, we reached out to Nate Berkus—TV host, designer...
- Planning Guide: Bathroom Remodeling
This guide provides bathroom remodeling ideas, from design considerations and storage solutions to advice on choosing materials and fixtures.
- Quick Tip: "Budget-Smart" Bathroom Remodeling
You can do a lot to control expenditures as you plan. Here are five "budget-smart" tips from the pros to help you plan your best bathroom remodel.
- Quick Tip: Bathtub Installation
Bathtubs are a functional and aesthetic feature of a bathroom. Before you buy a new tub, consider these important factors.
- Quick Tip: Laying Bathroom Tile
Successfully laying bathroom tile requires careful planning.
- Quick Tip: Master Bathroom Remodeling on a Budget
Several master bathroom ideas for inexpensively creating a home spa feel.
- Quick Tip: Replace a Toilet
Try this simple DIY project to install a more reliable, cost-effective toilet.
- Quick Tip: Unclog a Toilet
Avoid potential disaster by being prepared and reading these essential tips for toilet repair.
- SPA-oritize Your Home Bath
If you have a limited home improvement budget and a modest bathroom, don't despair. There are numerous upgrades you can do to beautify your existing bath and even add spa-like features at home.
- SPA-oritize Your Home Bath
We all dream of having a luxurious bath (consider the one pictured above, by Abraham Teiger Architects, or the bath b...
- The Basics of Bathroom Design
Good bathroom design starts with the basics. Here are twelve pro tips to consider in your remodel or renovation.
- The Benefits of a Jack and Jill Bathroom
Do you know what a 'Jack and Jill' bathroom is? If you grew up watching The Brady Bunch in the 70’s, you may already ...
- The Easiest Way to Clean Shower Doors
It's always a challenge to clean shower doors, but that doesn’t mean you have to use powerful cleansers made with amm...
- The New Apron-Front Sinks
Apron-front sinks, once a great spot to scrub a deep pot, soak dirty dishes, or even wash the baby or pet, are a stap...
- The New Bronze Age for Fixtures
After so many years of classic chrome and nickel faucets dominating in kitchens and baths, bronze finishes are finall...
- Top Tips for Adding Cabinets in the Bathroom
Traditionally, bathroom cabinetry was limited to small medicine cabinets above the sink and sink vanities with limite...
- Top Tips for Refinishing a Bathtub
Want to replace your vintage cast iron bathtub? You may be surprised that a comparable antique tub, or even a period-...
- Using Glass Tile for a Handcrafted Look
Epoxy grout ensures a durable installation of glass tile.
- Vessel Sinks: 10 Works of Art
Vessel sinks have opened up a world of possibilities for today's bath. Offering both style and utility, they come in a variety of materials, shapes, sizes and prices. And, along the way, they have become works of art in their own right.
- Master Bathroom Tub, Tile, and Low-Flow Toilet Installation
In the master bath, Bob reviews the appropriate design choices made by homeowner and contractor Nick Beasley for this period home. A new low-flush toilet is installed in the kids' bath.
- Finishing Touch: Master Bath Custom Corian Tub Surround
A Corian tub surround is installed in the master bathroom, custom fit through a digital photo template system. Steps are taken to prevent water seepage and bacteria and mold growth.
- Finishing Touch: Installing a Vintage Tub in a Child's Bathroom
The unusually shaped room with original beadboard that sits under the roof’s eaves will be adapted from its prior use as a home office to be a child’s bathroom with a Vintage-style bathtub.
- Repairing Plaster and Installing Ceramic Shower Tiles
Bob heads to the library to discuss the plaster patchwork in progress, and then visits the second floor, where ceramic tile is being installed in a guest bathroom.
- Installing Tumbled Marble Tile in the Shower
Tile is installed in the master bathroom’s shower area. A flashback reviews the waterproofing work that was done to prevent leaks.
- Installing Custom Shower Doors, Bath Hardware, and CO Detectors
Bob reviews the bathrooms, discusses the importance of carbon monoxide detectors, and highlights some fun touches in the basement, such as his mini wine cellar and wood waiter, which transports wood from the basement to the first floor with the touch of a button.
- Installing a Basement Half-Bathroom
Bob discusses the installation of a basement half-bathroom, including wiring, plumbing, and radiant heating.
- Installing a Soaking Tub With Jets
Bob joins Dan Gerry to install a jetted soaking tub in the master bath.
- Installing a Marble Tile Floor
Bob talks to Nick Tagios, of Tagios Tile and Marble, who's laying down the marble tile bathroom floor using a traditional installation technique.
- Installing Bathroom Fixtures
Bob meets with Lenora Campos of Toto USA, the largest toilet manufacturer in the world. Campos introduces Toto's Mercer line of residential fixtures, giving special attention to the low-flow toilet.
- Toto Low-Flow Toilet
Bob meets with Lenora Campos from Toto USA, a leader in water technology and the largest toilet manufacturer in the world. Campos introduces Bob to the dual-flush Neorest 600, a tankless toilet with a number of leading edge features.
- Antique-Look Bathroom Sink, Soaking Tub, and Quartz Tile Installation
Bob watches over the installation of a few bathroom fixtures, including a custom vanity countertop and undermount sinks from Toto USA, as well as an acrylic soaking tub with a stainless steel surround. Also, Bob sees the Sim Stone tiles being laid.
- Installing Glass Tile in the Shower
The crew prepares to grout the Vitrus Glasstile, which has been installed in the shower using a mildew- and stain-resistant epoxy grout. Bob remarks that, unlike ceramic tile, glass sets a fluid, artistic tone in the bathroom.
- Installing a Floating Vanity Cabinet
Bob looks on as a member of the Princeton Custom Cabinetry team installs the LesCare vanity in the dressing area between the bathroom and bedroom.
- Installing a Toto One-Piece Toilet
Bob watches the installation of a low-flow Toto toilet with a sleek design. The installation is simple, thanks to a special flange that reconfigures the traditional drain setup.
- Installing Moen Faucets in the Bathroom Vanity
Carlos Leuchtmann of Blue Ridge Plumbing joins Bob to install a faucet and handles from the Moen Kingsley line.
- Crown Point Bathroom Cabinets Installation
Ryley installs the built-in vanity from Crown Point Cabinetry in the downstairs master bath.
- Applying Glazed Wall Tile in the Bathroom
Rob Shedrofsky from Davinci Stone explains the tiling process to Bob as the Porcelanosa wall tile is installed in the bathroom
- Installing a Pedestal Sink
Mario Taormina of N. Pagano Plumbing installs the Totl pedestal sink in the bathroom of the Manhattan Brownstone.
- Reviewing the Bathroom Tile and Fixtures
Bob looks at the finished wall tile from Shaw in a second-floor bathroom at the Vermont farmhouse project site.
- Installing the Medicine Cabinet
In the master suite, general contractor Charlie Tomaszewski is finishing up installing the Robern medicine cabinets.
- Bathroom Fixtures Installed
Dave Kohler installs a Kohler lavatory in the Habitat for Humanity Blitz Build project house.
- Installing a Granite Vanity Top
Bob looks over the shoulders of Rick and Brian (from Star Granite Interiors), as they install a granite vanity top in the first-floor bathroom.
- Tiling the Shower
Bob touches base with Eddie Zywusko, the mason and tilesetter, working in the loft apartment's L-shaped shower.
- Kohler Shower Installation
Bob meets Eli and Greg, who are installing the finish kit of the Kohler shower tower.
- Marble Countertop Installation
Bob checks in with Greg Rockland, the plumber installing a marble countertop in the loft conversion unit.
- Wheelchair-Accessible Toilet Installation
Bob talks with Gerry Folan, the plumber who is installing a specially designed wheelchair-accessible toilet. Phil Boggs (from Kohler) discusses the unique features of the toilet.
- Installing a Bathroom Grab Rail
Bob and carpenter Bob Ryley put up a grab bar in the bathroom to facilitate a wheelchair-bound person's maneuvering.
- Bathroom Remodel
Pat and Roger Simons, the owners of the second house in the Elmwood project, review the goals of their bathroom remodel.
- Plumbing Installation and Creating a Tile Mural
In the second Elmwood project house, a Colonial Revival, a new Kohler tub is installed, while homeowner Pat Simons, a ceramic artists, creates a tile mural.
- Restoring the Vintage Bathtub With Synthetic Porcelain
Bob discusses the chemicals and process used to clean and restore the home's vintage bathtub. And a new finish of synthetic porcelain is applied to the pedestal sink, once it's been prepped.
- Installing Porcelain Mosaic Tile in the Bathroom
Bob meets with contractor Cortney Lofton, who is installing porcelain mosaic tiles with acrylic mastic over an existing bathroom mortar bed.
- Adding Adjustable Legs and Toekick to the Bathroom Vanity
Bob meets with contractor Bill Wilcox, who is assembling the bathroom vanities, giving them legs and a toekick.
- Solid-Surface Bathroom Vanity Top Installation
Bob helps Steven Nyz install a Surell one-piece vanity top and sink. No screws or nails are used, just some silicone caulk. Surell is totally non-porous, making it easy to clean and maintain.
- Marble and Venetian Glass Aggregate Bathroom Floor Tiles
Bob and Bob Ingram (from Rover Tile) discuss the tile that's going into the master bath and children's bathroom. The tile is a combination of marble chips, Venetian glass, and polyester resin, all ground down to a smooth surface.
- Applying Mortar Scratch Coat for Shower Wall Tiles
Bob visits with plaster sub-contractor Mike Bennet, who is floating mortar bed walls in the shower space of the beach house bathroom.
- Shower Stall Installation
Bob joins the plumber as he installs a shower stall in the kids' bathroom. After drilling the drain hole, the plumber demonstrates how to properly attach a metal drain to a fiberglass shower stall to prevent leaks.
- Installing New Bathroom Fixtures
Since the bathroom has been gutted, plumbers begin to install new fixtures.
- Installing the One-Piece Vanity
Bob helps carpenter-contractor Bob Ryley install a new one-piece acrylic vanity.
- The Merchandise Mart
Bob heads to the Merchandise Mart in downtown Chicago, the largest wholesale design center in the city, to see a selection of bathroom fixtures at K & B Galleries with Susan Kaiser.
- Replacing the Toilet
Plumber Dan Macias replaces the old toilet with a new, high-efficiency model.
- Building the Bathroom Vanity
Carpentry contractor Bob Ryley builds a bathroom vanity, as Bob goes over some of the floor work with artisan Terry Maiche.
- Tiling the Bathroom Floor
Tile setter Roger Short performs a “mud job” on the bathroom floor before laying the tile pattern.
- Installing a Whirlpool Tub
Bob helps install a whirlpool tub in the master bedroom.