- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Kitchen Remodel > Episode 12: Installing Pantry System
Creating a Tropical Sinkhole Garden
Bob and the landscape architect discuss lawns in South Florida, as new sod goes down in the yard. Inside, contract Ed Weller installs a space-saving pull-out pantry system. Next, Bob looks at how the screen enclosure will get put together according to the architect's tricky specs.
- Part 1: Creating a Tropical Sinkhole Garden
- Bob meets with landscape architect Juan Capote to discuss planting a feature garden. Several of the larger plants have been brought in and a tropical sinkhole has been created to mimic the native Florida landscape.
- Part 2: Selecting a Paint Color and Painting the Exterior Stucco Walls
- Part 3: Installing an Electric Outdoor Grill
This project features the remodeling and expansion of the kitchen and family room of a 15-year-old suburban Miami tract house. Innovative and fun projects include walls built using insulated concrete forms, stucco application, and glass block walls.
Also from Kitchen Remodel
Bob takes a shoreline tour of Miami, his hometown, from the city center to beautiful Coral Gables, Miami's first suburb, and on to Kendall, where Teresa Lopez owns a cramped 15-year-old tract house in need of more living space. Arquitectonica's Laurinda Spear shares some eye-catching, and very tropical, ideas for the project.
Bob joins contractor Ed Weller for a look at another work in progress, a house being built using a number of techniques that are unique to tropical climates. Bob also tours the Barnacle, one of the first houses built in Dade County, to see how early settlers built to deal with the heat. Back on site, work has begun with plant removal and structure inspection.
After the new foundation is poured, Bob watches the walls being constructed using a system of stacked Styrofoam forms that are pumped full of concrete. Also, Bob tours a remarkable concrete building that's survived some of Miami's worst hurricanes: the majestic Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING