- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Habitat for Humanity > Episode 5: Sheathing and Shingling the Roof
Manufacturing Photovoltaic Devices at the Global Solar Factory
Deane Evans (from the Partnership to Advance Technology in Homes) and Ren Anderson (from the National Renewable Energy Lab) talk with Bob about special photovoltaic shingles, which convert solar energy into electricity. Bob and Ren begin applying the shingles to the shed roof, before Bob heads to Global Solar in Tucson, AZ to learn more about how photo voltaic film is manufactured.
- Part 1: Installing Dimensional Asphalt Shingles
- Part 2: Photovoltaic Roofing Shingles Installed
- Part 3: Manufacturing Photovoltaic Devices at the Global Solar Factory
- Bob visits the Global Solar factory in Tucson, AZ to see how the company manufactures its unique solar-electric (photovoltaic) devices. Neil Holstad, president of Global Solar, leads a tour of the plant. The factory itself includes many environmentally friendly features, including abundant day lighting, recycled brick fascia, graywater recycling, concrete containing fly ash, rammed-earth garden walls, and energy-efficient windows.
Bob follows Neil inside the ultra-clean plant, where the unique flexible photovoltaic devices are made. The flexible material allows the devices to be used in many applications. Robert Wendt, Director of Technical Operations, shows Bob the materials used to make the solar cells and one of the manufacturing machines that produces them.
Bob Vila introduces the latest in sustainable materials and efficient building techniques on a Habitat for Humanity build. This project documents a five-day process that transformed an empty lot into a snug, comfortable, and sustainable home in Yonkers, NY.
Also from Habitat for Humanity
Along with a team of volunteers and Habitat for Humanity, Bob undertakes the considerable task of building a house in exactly one week. Before construction begins, Bob takes us on a tour of Yonkers and meets with Mayor John Spencer.<br> <br> Back on site, Bob Ryley talks about the pre-cast foundation system from Superior Walls of America. Dennis Hardman of the Engineered Wood Association, one of the project's primary sponsors, points out a number of the engineered wood products being utilized in the build.<br> <br> Next, Bob visits a Habitat community in Phoenix, AZ to learn a bit more about the organization. And Finally, Bob joins with the architect of the Yonkers project house, Ed Binkley, together with Jim Killoran (from Habitat for Humanity), to discuss the plans.
As the walls go up on the Habitat house in Yonkers, Steve Thompson (from Premier Building Systems) joins Bob to discuss the use of Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs). Then, Bob goes off to visit the Premier manufacturing facility in Washington State to see just how SIPs are manufactured. Back in Yonkers, framing work continues, while Bob moves to the basement to check out the GFX-- a new, money-saving system for recapturing heat from drain water.
The blitz build continues, and the roof framing begins. Bob meets with Lise LaFrance of the Engineered Wood Association, APA, to talk about the different engineered lumber products, including i-joists, being used on the house. Also, Bob tours the Willamette plant in Oregon where the i-joists are made. Back in Yonkers, Steve Thompson (from Habitat) leads the volunteers in raising the giant ridge beam. Carpenter Bob Ryley and Bob talk through the framing process and report on the progress of the house so far.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight