- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Elmwood Neighborhood > Episode 1: Kitchen Project Begins
Installing a Reclaimed Pine Floor
Project: Elmwood Neighborhood, Episode 1, Part 4
In the historic Elmwood neighborhood of Providence, RI, Bob talks with Mary Turkel and Bob Major (from the Providence Preservation Cooperative) about the changes taking place in the area. Bob also meets Jane and Luke Driver, whose kitchen renovation is one of the smaller scale projects Bob plans to cover. As demolition work begins, so too does plumbing and electrical. Also to come is a new kitchen floor made from reclaimed Pine.
- Part 1: Overview of the Elmwood Neighborhood Project
- Part 2: House One: Tour of a Gothic Carpenter-Style Home
- Part 3: Flooring, Plumbing, and Plastering
- Part 4: Installing a Reclaimed Pine Floor
- The plastering, skim coat, and ceiling have been completed, so the kitchen area is ready for the pine flooring. Homeowner Luke Driver meets with Bob Ryley to talk about the progress of the remodel and the plans for the floor.
Flooring specialist Howard Brickman explains that the moisture content of the subfloor must be checked before the new floor installation. He also discusses the orientation of the boards.
The floor is a reclaimed product of Longleaf Heart Pine, a select pine grade. The wood comes from the Avery Duntons Peppermill in Framingham, MA.
The theme of community building in the historic Elmwood neighborhood of Providence, RI, is the focus of this project. Rather than tackling one house, Bob Vila is helping 11 neighbors tackle smaller projects like porches, kitchens, bathrooms, and even a third-floor artist's studio.
ALL EPISODES IN ELMWOOD NEIGHBORHOOD
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
How are complimentary colors arranged on the color wheel?