- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Craftsman Bungalow > Episode 3: Reconditioning the Windows
Tour of Frank Lloyd Wright's Hollyhock House
Bob observes the reconditioning of the original Sears kit house windows. Then, he takes a tour of Frank Lloyd Wright's Hollyhock House, which is just over the hill in Hollywood. On the back porch, the contractors are disguising the steel supports for the roof by sleeving them into wooden columns.
Bob Vila oversees the remodel of a Craftsman bungalow in Los Angeles, CA. It's a vintage kit house, purchased from a Sears & Roebuck catalog in 1923 and built in Hollywood. Working with contractors, Bob helps restore the home's thoughtful details while adding improvements fit for the owners' modern lifestyle.
Also from Craftsman Bungalow
Bob meets Gavin and Michelle Langley, the happy new homeowners of a vintage Sears kit house. They have lots of plans for preserving both the historic and sentimental values of the house. We also meet Cortney Lofton and crew, who are busy pouring footings for the new back porch (designed by Gavin). Up on the roof, a new product from Australia called Hardislate is being applied.
The electricians are snaking new wiring into the kitchen, and the plumber is roughing in for the addition of a real 'water closet'.<br> <br> Mike Casas is making quick work of the plaster on the new cathedral ceiling, where new drywall must be married to the old lath and plaster.<br> <br> Out on the front porch, the contractor removes an existing column without damaging it, or the overhang it supports.
Carpenter Brian Comeaux custom-mills some interior trim details specified by the architect. Back on site, Bob and carpenter Cortney Lofton assemble the details to give the dining room a real 'craftsman' look. The original bathroom fixtures get re-porcelainized on-site, and framing continues on the back porch addition.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers