- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Dream Garage and Boat Storage > Episode 6: Insulating the Garage
Installing Insulspan Structural Insulated Panels
The framing is complete, and the crew is now attaching the Insulspan panels. Insulspan is an all-in-one wall product consisting of rigid foam insulation sandwiched between two sheets of sheathing material. In this case, it's oriented strand board, or OSB. To see where this OSB comes from, Bob takes a tour of the plant in Alberta, Canada. Back on site, carpenter Bob Ryley demonstrates how to hang a salvaged door.
- Part 1: Installing Insulspan Structural Insulated Panels
- Bob and contractor Bob Ryley review the Insulspan structural insulated panels (SIPs). These Styrofoam panels save steps in construction, since they include structural stability, insulation, sidewall, and interior drywall.
- Part 2: Tour of an Ainsworth Lumber Mill
- Part 3: Installing a Salvaged Door
This innovative and functional post-and-beam barn structure is designed to provide space to store, and perform work on, boats and cars. Bob Vila takes us through the story,which centers around creating a state-of-the-art, ergonomically efficient, well-lit, and safe environment.
Also from Dream Garage and Boat Storage
Bob introduces the new garage and boat storage project, and looks over the plans for the post-and-beam structure with contractor Bob Ryley and architect Paul Pacella (from Maine Post and Beam).<br> <br> In addition, Bob travels to nearby Oyster Harbors, Massachusetts for a tour of a local marina with America's Cup champion Bill Koch.<br> <br> Back on site, excavation for the foundation starts and building formwork for the footings begins.
The garage project gets a real high-tech foundation, as layers of termite proofing, crushed stone, vapor barrier, rigid insulation, and wire mesh go down before the concrete can be poured. Mechanical contractor Frank Iadarola is on-site to explain how the Heatway hydronic heating system is installed in the slab to create a constant source of gentle heat for optimum car storage. Last, Bob tours an antique post-and-beam windmill at Heritage Plantation in Sandwich, MA.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING