- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Dream Garage and Boat Storage > Episode 6: Insulating the Garage
Tour of an Ainsworth Lumber Mill
The framing is complete, and the crew is now attaching the Insulspan panels. Insulspan is an all-in-one wall product consisting of rigid foam insulation sandwiched between two sheets of sheathing material. In this case, it's oriented strand board, or OSB. To see where this OSB comes from, Bob takes a tour of the plant in Alberta, Canada. Back on site, carpenter Bob Ryley demonstrates how to hang a salvaged door.
- Part 1: Installing Insulspan Structural Insulated Panels
- Part 2: Tour of an Ainsworth Lumber Mill
- Bob travels to Canada for a tour of the Ainsworth oriented strand board (OSB) mill, one of the most modern OSB factories in the world.
- Part 3: Installing a Salvaged Door
This innovative and functional post-and-beam barn structure is designed to provide space to store, and perform work on, boats and cars. Bob Vila takes us through the story,which centers around creating a state-of-the-art, ergonomically efficient, well-lit, and safe environment.
Also from Dream Garage and Boat Storage
Bob introduces the new garage and boat storage project, and looks over the plans for the post-and-beam structure with contractor Bob Ryley and architect Paul Pacella (from Maine Post and Beam).<br> <br> In addition, Bob travels to nearby Oyster Harbors, Massachusetts for a tour of a local marina with America's Cup champion Bill Koch.<br> <br> Back on site, excavation for the foundation starts and building formwork for the footings begins.
The garage project gets a real high-tech foundation, as layers of termite proofing, crushed stone, vapor barrier, rigid insulation, and wire mesh go down before the concrete can be poured. Mechanical contractor Frank Iadarola is on-site to explain how the Heatway hydronic heating system is installed in the slab to create a constant source of gentle heat for optimum car storage. Last, Bob tours an antique post-and-beam windmill at Heritage Plantation in Sandwich, MA.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers