- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Greenhouse > Episode 7: Adding Stucco and Laying a Stone Floor
Installing a Bluestone Floor
Landscape designer Ruth Foster drops by the site to help revamp the tired, winter-beaten yard around the greenhouse, and to plant a new tree for shade. Inside, the mason is adding stucco to the walls and laying a bluestone floor, which will help with heat storage.
- Part 1: Landscaping for Energy Efficiency
- Part 2: Stucco Walls
- Part 3: Installing a Bluestone Floor
- A landscape cloth is set below the stone dust to prevent water from seeping and causing the stones to wobble. The bluestone is being installed in a diagonal pattern that allows enough space for drainage.
Bob Vila heads to Cape Cod in the dead of winter to watch over the construction of a custom, high-tech greenhouse. The design and construction of a new addition to the front of an existing house afforded the creation of this conservatory and of a new front entry pavilion that features a mahogany pergola supported by limestone columns.
Also from Greenhouse
Bob begins the state-of-the-art greenhouse project by visiting Boston's most famous solarium, that of the quirky and romantic Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Back at the project site, Bob meets the homeowner, tours the existing house, and discusses plans for the addition with the architect. Contractor Bob Ryley begins demolition.
The custom-made steel uprights that will support the weight of the greenhouse arrive, and, soon after, they are attached to the foundation. Rigid insulation is also added to retain heat, even in the dead of winter. Bob takes a walk down Boston's Commonwealth Avenue for a look at two upscale solariums from the last century-- one at Burrage House, the other at Webster House.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers