- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Cabin in the Woods > Episode 3: Framing and Chimney
Brick Plant Tour
More framing progress has been made on the cabin, and Bob looks at what an the pitch of the roof will do for living space on the second floor. The mason is hard at work on the chimney. Bob takes a field trip to the factory in Danbury, CT where the bricks are made.
- Part 1: Building the Staircase
- Part 2: Brick Plant Tour
- Bob takes a field trip to East Windsor Hill, CT, where the bricks for the cabin project were made. Along the way, he learns about the manufacturing process bricks go through and the various machines that are involved.
- Part 3: Count Rumford Fireplace Construction
- As the mason builds a Count Rumford fireplace, he describes the foundation built to support the hearth and the variety of bricks used throughout the fireplace.
Bob Vila explores the concept of sustainable design by putting resource management theories into practice for everyday living. Projects include a pre-cast foundation system, earth-friendly septic system, energy-efficient appliances, and more.
Also from Cabin in the Woods
Bob begins this project in a woodsy setting, and, alongside contractor Bob Ryley, discusses plans for the tiny, romantic weekend getaway cottage to be built on the site. The crew gets started right away with the new pre-cast foundation system from Superior Walls of America. The latest in streamlined septic system is installed the same day, and the crew gets started framing the first floor deck.
Bob and contractor Bob Ryley install a new Cabrio skylight from Velux that opens out to create a roof balcony. Next, Ryley installs Thermasote panels on the roof, an all-in-one nailable sheathing and insulation product that's ideal for any exposed beam application. Later, Bob pays a visit to Yestermorrow Design Build School in Warren, VT.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects Anyone Can Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 9 "Killer" Ways to Eliminate Weeds
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- Designers Reveal Today's Top 10 Bath Remodeling Trends
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight