- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Split-Level Ranch > Episode 4: Septic System, Bathroom Fixtures, and Windows
Reviewing the Landscape
Bob must deal with an overloaded septic system by replacing the old clogged tank and leach field. Since the bathroom has already been gutted, plumbers begin to install new fixtures. Contractor Bob Ryley demonstrates how to install a 48-pane window in the front addition. Bob also consults with a landscape architect, who shares ideas about dressing up the yard.
- Part 1: Replacing the Septic System
- Part 2: Installing New Bathroom Fixtures
- Part 3: Reviewing the Landscape
- Bob meets with a landscaper to discuss the existing plantings, some of which will be removed or cut back to maximize the amount of interior light. Trees, shrubs, and a trellis are recommended to create a barrier between the yard and the road.
Bob Vila is in Plymouth, MA, to oversee the remodel of a worn-out, 17-year-old raised ranch with problems familiar to many homeowners. The façade is re-sided and repainted, windows are replaced, and a new entry is built. Inside, the new bath and kitchen, which are added, provide the project highlights.
Also from Split-Level Ranch
Bob begins the Plymouth, MA project by getting to know the community. The landmark tour includes visits to the Mayflower, Plymouth Rock, and the Jenney Grist Mill. Next, Bob goes house-hunting with a realtor. At one home in particular, performs a structural and cosmetic inspection before agreeing to buy.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers