- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Chicago Coach House > Episode 3: Excavation Begins
Bob tours Frank Lloyd Wright's studio with director Gloria Garfolo and visits some of the houses Wright designed in the Oak Park neighborhood of Chicago. Back at the coach house, the basement is excavated and steel beams are put into the back wall to make room for a garage door.
A coach house in Chicago is reborn! This project includes gutting and rebuilding the interior structure, finishing the basement, and adding a roof dormer. Local artists even show Bob how to give the newly renovated home some panache with a creative, Chicago-style decorating approach and faux-finish painting techniques.
Also from Chicago Coach House
Bob and general contractor Ron Gan assess the next project: a deserted old coach house. They discover several clues as to how the renovation should be done, and Bob pokes around in the attic for treasures. Plus, architectural historian Susan Benjamin takes Bob on a tour of some of downtown Chicago's 19th-century landmark buildings.
General contractor Ron Gan explains how a ledger board is attached to the masonry wall to support ceiling joists. Plus, Ron and carpenter John Pringle demonstrate a simple way to build a set of winding stairs. Bob visits Dave Parker in Vancouver, BC to see how Parallam beams are manufactured.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers