- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Storm-Ready Design > Episode 13: Surge Protection, Plumbing, Bamboo Blinds and Garden
Plumbing Fittings and Faucets, Energy Star, Whole-House Surge Protection
Project: Storm-Ready Design, Episode 13, Part 2
Brazilian Walnut or Ipe hardwood flooring is installed over a concrete slab as Jesse Bartusek explains how the concrete is tested for moisture content, sealed, and troweled with polyurethane adhesive. The floor planks are laid out on the adhesive, tapped in place with a rubber mallet, and taped to hold them in place for at least four hours, preferably 24. Dan Gerry installs a Moen burnished brass faucet with a pullout sprayer and shutoff valves below. In the main living area, an Energy Star-rated ceiling fan, fluorescent lights, and energy saving fixtures are wired in. A Square D All House Surge Arrester is connected to the phone, television, electrical, satellite and cable TV lines to protect the home from damaging stray voltage, power surges, and lightning. The self-monitoring system stops and redirects stray voltage to a ground to protect electrical appliances, data, cable, and phone lines. Smith & Noble bamboo panel-track blinds are hung and pass one in front of the other to screen the large patio doors. With help from family members, Teresa’s brother Kalo constructs fastener-free, woven, bamboo partition fences to surround a Zen-like garden that is his gift to the homeowners.
- Part 1: Installing Hardwood Floors over Concrete
- Part 2: Plumbing Fittings and Faucets, Energy Star, Whole-House Surge Protection
- Bob and Dan Gerry form Tranquility Plumbing agree that budgeting for high-quality fittings and fixtures is important. The Moen diverter and sprayer that Gerry is installing is a great unit that is easily repaired by the homeowner. Gerry says that it is important to consider availability of parts when selecting fixtures, because every faucet will need repairs sometime. Gerry runs the supply line then adds a weight that will pull it though as soon as the sink is installed. He also fits the shut-off valves and tightens them in place so that water can be shut off at the site without needing to turn off service to the entire house. The ceiling fan is being installed in the Punta Gorda home. Its workbox must be firmly mounted to hold the ceiling fan in place. This house is Energy Star qualified, which means that, in addition to the insulation, windows, and building materials, the appliances are also Energy Star rated. Fluorescent bulbs are used in the fixtures to reduce energy use throughout the year. The burnished brass-look fixtures are from Sea Gull Lighting and are all Energy Star certified. A surge protector is being installed in the Punta Gorda storm-ready house to protect the home's appliances, cicuitry, data, phone, and televisions from stray voltage that can ruin appliances. The Square D All House Surge Arrester is designed to redirect transient high voltage to a ground and away from the household circuitry. The attachments for cable and satellite TV, phone, data, and low voltage appliances are wired into a breaker connected to a monitor that tells whether the service has suffered a strike from lighting or power spikes. A light indicates to the homeowner whether the protection was activated.
- Part 3: Installing Natural Bamboo Sliding Panel Shades
- Part 4: Custom Bamboo Garden
When hurricanes strike again and again, as they did in Florida in 2004, the effects are devastating. Bob Vila and crew work to completely rebuild a damaged house, using new standards for storm-ready housing. Along the way, Bob investigates a home's vulnerabilities in extreme weather and learns why some building systems fail and others succeed.
ALL EPISODES IN STORM-READY DESIGN
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
How are complimentary colors arranged on the color wheel?