- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Dream Garage and Boat Storage > Episode 13: Barn Tour
Tour of the Completed 'Boat Barn'
Bob takes an inside-and-out grand tour of the garage, reviewing some of the great features installed over thirteen weeks. Bob Ryley finishes up building the workbenches in the automotive shop, and, in the loft, an industrial metal shelving system is assembled. The barn is complete, decked out, and ready for years of heavy-duty work and storage.
- Part 1: Reviewing the Post-and-Beam Garage
- Part 2: Tour of the Completed 'Boat Barn'
- Bob takes a close look at the boat storage part of the building (the 'boat barn'), highlighting interior features like the lighting and mechanical systems. Contractor Bob Ryley has constructructed a workbench.
- Part 3: Heavy-Duty Metal Shelving and Preparing the Boat for Winter Storage
This innovative and functional post-and-beam barn structure is designed to provide space to store, and perform work on, boats and cars. Bob Vila takes us through the story,which centers around creating a state-of-the-art, ergonomically efficient, well-lit, and safe environment.
Also from Dream Garage and Boat Storage
Bob introduces the new garage and boat storage project, and looks over the plans for the post-and-beam structure with contractor Bob Ryley and architect Paul Pacella (from Maine Post and Beam).<br> <br> In addition, Bob travels to nearby Oyster Harbors, Massachusetts for a tour of a local marina with America's Cup champion Bill Koch.<br> <br> Back on site, excavation for the foundation starts and building formwork for the footings begins.
The garage project gets a real high-tech foundation, as layers of termite proofing, crushed stone, vapor barrier, rigid insulation, and wire mesh go down before the concrete can be poured. Mechanical contractor Frank Iadarola is on-site to explain how the Heatway hydronic heating system is installed in the slab to create a constant source of gentle heat for optimum car storage. Last, Bob tours an antique post-and-beam windmill at Heritage Plantation in Sandwich, MA.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING