- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Federal-Style Home > Episode 1: Selecting the Site
Bob sets out on a carriage tour of historic Charleston, SC to get a feel for the elegant and well-preserved architecture of one of the most beautiful cities in the South. Richard Marks, the restoration contractor who's responsible for much of the expert work being done in and around Charleston, gives Bob a tour of the elegant, though quite run-down, Federal style house whose revival this project chronicles.
- Part 1: Tour of Charleston, SC
- Part 2: Initial Tour
- Richard Marks, the restoration contractor responsible for much of the expert work being done in and around Charleston, shows Bob around the elegant, though quite run-down, Federal-style house, the revival of which this project chronicles.
- Part 3: Tour of a Restored Federal-Style Carriage House
Bob Vila tackles the revitalization of an exquisite Federal-style home, built in the early 1800s, which survived the Civil War but barely survived Hurricane Hugo in 1989. A major aspect of the project is the painstaking process of restoring the original plaster ornamentation and woodwork to their original detail.
Also from Federal-Style Home
Bob gets a look at how the newly framed addition will blend gracefully into the back of the old house, adding a considerable amount of expanded living space. Restoration contractor Richard Marks explains how they're reproducing damaged sections of the elaborate, early 19th-century plaster cornice in the dining room. And Bob takes a tour of the spectacular home of Nathaniel Russell, one of Charleston's wealthiest merchants of the Colonial period.
The new addition receives Federal-style windows that were made on-site. The siding is also cut and detailed to match the Federal Style, which the existing portion of the home exemplifies.<br> <br> Bob takes a tour of Charleston's elegant William Gibbes House. And back at the site, the roofers are using age-old techniques to repair and expand the slate roof.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers