- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Federal-Style Home > Episode 2: Discussing the New Addition
Plaster Cornice Reconstruction
Project: Federal-Style Home, Episode 2, Part 2
Bob gets a look at how the newly framed addition will blend gracefully into the back of the old house, adding a considerable amount of expanded living space. Restoration contractor Richard Marks explains how they're reproducing damaged sections of the elaborate, early 19th-century plaster cornice in the dining room. And Bob takes a tour of the spectacular home of Nathaniel Russell, one of Charleston's wealthiest merchants of the Colonial period.
- Part 1: Federal-Style Home Layout
- Part 2: Plaster Cornice Reconstruction
- Bob surveys the plaster cornice in the project home. Water damage has ruined a large section and much of the remaining plaster needs repair. Bob and restoration contractor Richard Sparks discuss the different elements of the reconstruction process.
- Part 3: Nathaniel Russell House Tour
Bob Vila tackles the revitalization of an exquisite Federal-style home, built in the early 1800s, which survived the Civil War but barely survived Hurricane Hugo in 1989. A major aspect of the project is the painstaking process of restoring the original plaster ornamentation and woodwork to their original detail.
ALL EPISODES IN FEDERAL-STYLE HOME
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
SEE MORE IN
Tools & Workshop