- Bob Vila TV Shows >
- Ranch Expansion > Episode 3: Framing and Cutting Rafters
Framing the First Floor
Project: Ranch Expansion, Episode 3, Part 1
Bob reviews the process of framing the new first floor layout, then takes a tour of another project in the works: the U.S.S. Constitution, in drydock for repairs in Boston Harbor. Returning to Wayland, contractor Bob Ryley explains how the rafters are cut for the new roof.
- Part 1: Framing the First Floor
- Bob reviews the construction layout of the first floor. The old kitchen has been ripped out to make way for a foyer, coat closet, and staircase. In the garage, a steel beam, or girt, has been placed in order to support the weight of the second floor.
- Part 2: Touring "Old Ironsides"
- Part 3: Home Addition and Construction Timeline
- Part 4: Raising Gable Ends and Cutting Rafters
Bob takes on the expansion of a 35 year-old ranch house in Wayland, MA. With an eye on the budget, projects include European kitchen cabinets, a state-of-the-art closet system for the master bedroom, custom built-in bookshelves, an eye-catching fan detail on the front façade, and a private deck off the master bedroom.
ALL EPISODES IN RANCH EXPANSION
MOST POPULAR CLIPS
HOUSE & GARDEN TOURS
How often do termite queens lay eggs?